Tuesday 12 June 2012

Week 15: Final Presentation Project 3

Week 15 concluded DAB510. My Final Summary Board is below:



My presentation is located at the Prezi website: http://prezi.com/udzmoncojldl/the-mangrove-metaphor/

I felt that as part of my presentation due to time constraints i was unable to explain my mangrove metaphor as much as i would have liked. Our guest tutor at the end of my presentation gave feedback, she believed that my mangrove concept was represented in the 2D (seen in diagramming) but wasn't successful in 3D.

I'm not sure i agree with this. I believe reasons this may not have been understood by the tutor is that i was unable to describe the space planning exercises i under took earlier in the design process. The three dimensional root structure was considered when planning each of the floors and spaces.

I also believe i was not able to portray in my presentation the link between the purpose of the building and mangroves informing structure. As mangroves were identified as a plant unique to the subtropical climate and one which has adapted to the constant flux of seawater (flooding) i found it particularly appropriate as part of the theme learning from nature.

Adaption was part of the concept of my original folie design, mangroves adapt and survive in flood waters, that which lives in a subtropical climate, such as Brisbane. The roots were used to lift the building from the ground, lessening the affects of potential flooding and the root structure also used to segregate space. You can see on the 3D images that the angle and direction of the concrete 'roots' was used to separate glass and concrete on the outside of the building.

Another issue addressed by our guest tutor in the presentation was site selection. I was questioned why my building was to be where it was opposed to any other site. I believe reasons for site placement were:
-similar location to folie site which had been chosen to accentuate views of Kangaroo Point, the city and story Bridge. I also wanted to keep a link between my site and the mangrove trees on the opposite side of the River. This is so people in the building would understand the inspiration.
- I had considered placing the building closer to the water or perhaps with some roots going into the water. When discussing this with my tutor Yvonne, it was decided not to keep the building very close to the water as the ground floor of the building was intended to be a public gathering place and placing this so close to the water could have been hazardous. However, i could have explored the addition of platforms into the water.
- The other reason for site placement was a need for there to be a strong link to the city and the architectural establishments identified as part of site analysis. Seen in the master plan is a large stair case that links the building to Bowen Terrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment