Tuesday 15 May 2012

Week 10: Project 3


Project 3 is to be an extension of Project 1 and 2, continued as part of our theme group. The criteria given by Yasu highlighted particular focus on:

- The geographical location of the building (in Brisbane)
- Exposure to surrounding areas
- Value as a public building
- Users - how they utilise the building and how it demonstrates the significance of education of visitors
- A consideration for how people arrive at the building, experience, leave and move on to their next destination

It is understood that it was Yasu's intention to keep the design brief non-specific as to encourage a range of resolutions from each group and student. He also emphasised the importance of directing our own learning and design process, and forming our own brief, responding to it and then ask for feedback, rather than being 'told' what to do.

I feel like i have begun to address even if briefly most of the issues that were to be addressed as part of Project 2.  I feel like my underlying concept of learning does exist, though may need some resolution.  I also am in need of further developing how mangroves inform the structure of my building.

To begin to further develop how mangroves will inform my design, I have found the below images....




I believe the contours of the shapes in the Banq Restaurant could be related to the contours of mangrove branches,  I also like the ability of the individual pieces to create different views from different directions. I would like to explore this relationship further in sketch and concept design for Project 3. 


An example of how i could take the mangrove metaphor and translate it to diagram, to eventually inform building structure is demonstrated in the below image (sourced from http://dab510group10.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/some-diagram-examples-for-everyone.html)


No comments:

Post a Comment